Friday, February 29, 2008

Item 23 -- The End

I probably enjoyed playing around in the photo and images sites the most, including the image generators, even though I was unable to copy an image to the blog from any site. I liked having the opportunity to sample a variety of the technology features that one hears being mentioned by colleagues but which do not really have a place in one's life, at least at the moment. I now have a very basic knowledge of some of them and might be able to assist patrons to some degree, but I wouldn't feel confident of helping with any advanced features of any of these technologies.

As for my lifelong learning goals, I like to stay aware of new technologies, especially ones that might be helpful for my job, but I tend to direct my "learning" toward things like The Great Courses by the Teaching Company. I want more out of life than spending it staring at a computer screen all day long. Too bad the library doesn't have any of these courses. They really are great.

There weren't any outcomes that surprised me. There were a few that frustrated me. For example, the "lesson" gives you certain information about a site, and then tells you to go that site and click on a certain feature. You click on the link, go to the site, and said feature is nowhere on the screen, or the screen doesn't resemble the screen in the tutorial at all. Another frustration was waiting for videos to load. On more than one occasion I took my break to let it finish loading.

One improvement I would suggest is making sure the websites attached to the links haven't been redesigned so that the directions are rendered inaccurate/useless. Also, not all staff computers had sound capability, which was necessary when watching the videos.

No comments: